Nomini Bay Oyster Ranch began operations in 2014, but our love of the Bay and oysters spans over 50 years. Co-owned by Paul Simpson, Todd Neilson and Jess Jones, the mission of Nomini Bay Oyster Ranch is simple…
Protect the Bay by farming oysters.Sell Virginia-grown oysters that are always fresh and taste great.Support our community through partnerships and service.
A portion of all sales help clean the Chesapeake Bay.
- TYPE: Invertebrate
- GROUP NAME: Colony, Bed, or Reef
- SCIENTIFIC NAME: Crassostrea Virginica (Eastern Oyster)
- AVERAGE LIFE SPAN IN CAPTIVITY: Up to 20 years
- SIZE: 3 in (8 cm) to 14 in (36 cm)
- A single oyster can filter over 50 gallons of water per day.
- At one time, the oysters in the Chesapeake were so numerous, they were hazardous to navigation.